By Anne Lobeck, Kristin Denham
An enticing and clean tackle the foundations and politics of English grammar, written in energetic prose. It is going a step additional than such a lot books on grammar via delivering an outline of the sector, with a dialogue of historic and present debates approximately grammar, and the way we outline, speak about, and strategy it.
- Presents a unique, inquiry-based method of figuring out audio system' subconscious wisdom of English grammar
- Makes lucid connections, while correct, with present linguistic theory
- Integrates language swap and edition into the examine of grammar
- Examines ancient resources of socially evaluative perceptions of grammar, as 'good' or 'bad', and notions of language authority
- Provides syntactic reasons for plenty of smooth punctuation rules
- Explores the various present controversies approximately grammar educating at school and the position of ordinary English in trying out and assessment